First Home Owners Grant Qld
The First Home Owners Grant Qld, can be a great help for first home buyers in Queensland.
If you are thinking of buying your first property in Queensland, house or apartment and are eligible, you should apply for the grant.
Applying for the Queensland first home owners grant can be confusing – it’s from the government after all!
So to help you, let’s answer the top 4 questions, we get from first home buyers regarding the grant:
- What is the First Home Owners Grant Qld
- Who is eligible
- How to apply
- When does it get payed
1. What is the First Home Owner’s Grant Qld
The First Home Owner’s Grant Qld, is a payment made by the Queensland Government, to eligible first home buyers in Queensland.
It’s main intention is to give a financial incentive for Queenslander’s, to buy their first property to live in. It also designed to help stimulate the Queensland economy, through construction. This is something you should consider as It’s not there just for you – more on this later.
The amount payed has varied from $20,000 prior to June 30th 2018, down to $15,000 after July 1st 2018. The Grant is constantly under review by the government. So we recommend you confirm the current amount being payed at www.qld.gov.au.
2. Who is eligible for the First Home Owners Grant Qld
To be eligible for the grant, you will need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
- Not have previously purchased property in Australia (or anyone else involved in the purchase)
- Buy or build only a brand new house or apartment.
- Ensure the total value of the property, including the land is less than $750,000.
- Move into the new home as your primary place of residence within 1 year of the contract settlement and live there continuously for at least 6 months.
These conditions are not negotiable and are enforced. So we highly recommend that you due diligence and only apply once you are sure that you are eligible.
3. How to apply for the First Home Owner’s Grant Qld
There are 2 ways that you can apply for the grant:
- Directly with the Queensland Office of State Revenue – We would only recommend doing this after you have bought the property and do not need the money as part of the deposit for settlement. This is because, the government need to see your name on the title of the property (this only happens after you have payed for it), before they will hand over any money to you (as proof you actually bought something). Also, You cannot rely on the timing of government payments, which is essential when you buy a property. Because you don’t want to be short of funds on settlement day and risk losing the property and your deposit!
- Through a suitable bank/lender – Applying for the First Home Owner’s Grant Qld through a suitable lender can have many benefits. This includes some lenders factoring in the grant amount as part of your purchase deposit at settlement – without you having received it! They then take responsibility for getting the payment from the government after settlement to balance out your loan. They can also help fill in all of the paperwork for the grant, as part of your loan application.
We can help you apply for the grant and find you a suitable loan with the right lender at the same time.
4. When do i get payed the First Home Owner’s Grant Qld
As previously mentioned, the grant is payed by the office of state revenue after confirmation that you have bought the property. They confirm it by verifying that your name is on the property title, which can only occur after you have payed for it.
This has different implications for you, depending on the type of property you are buying.
If the property is a completed house or unit, you will not have the grant available as a deposit. Unless you find a lender that will ‘allow’ for it. We can help you find a lender.
Thinking about buying land and building a house on it?
Use your savings as deposit to purchase the land. You can then get payed the First Home Owner’s Grant Qld to use as deposit for the construction loan that settles later.
Need More Information?
If you would like more information on this or have more questions, we understand and would love to help. It can be confusing and we can help you to get through it and do a lot of the work for you.
Why not book a chat with our first home owner specialists at a time that suits you, by clicking on the button below. We do not charge you anything for our service as we get payed by lenders. We would love to chat with you!
Book a Chat to get First Home Owner Grant Qld help!